The History Of The Practice
The history of the practice goes back to the early 1920's when it was originally a single handed practice. We actually have a controlled drug register with the first entry dated 1927 (which makes quite interesting reading!).
The accurate history dates back to the 50's when Dr Marjorie Roberts took over the surgery and practised till 1968. At that time the practice was based at 12 Manor Road, next door to the present premises, and Dr Roberts had Dr Ursula Hickman working with her as an assistant until she took over the practice with Dr Ginette Edmonds on 1st October 1968.
Early in 1969 the practice moved next door to 14 Manor Road, where we have been based ever since.
Miss Prince was the first practice receptionist but retired shortly after starting, due to poor health and was followed by Pauline McCarthy. She was followed by Audrey Byrne, Lynn Skinner and Jean Lewis and, inevitably, there have been many changes since then. Mrs Clair Harper has been our Practice Manager since 2006 but she resigned in June 2016 as she is relocating and Mrs Lynda George started on 1st July 2016
Miss Layzell was the first practice nurse (she joined at the age of 70!) and Mrs Cassidy was the first midwife attached to the practice.
Dr Gian Rakkar joined the partnership in 1972 and remained with the practice till she returned to India in 1988 when her husband passed away
By this time the practice had become a training practice and Dr Ray Vella was taken on as a fourth partner in September 1986, after he finished his year as a trainee in the practice.
Dr Janet Tempest took over from Dr Rakkar in 1988 and Dr Jill Corrigan (subsequently Dr Campbell after marriage) took over after Dr Hickman retired in 1990 after many years as senior partner.
Sadly, Dr Hickman passed away on 25th July 1998 after fighting cancer for many years, during which time she carried on working despite her illness. Drs Edmonds and Rakkar are enjoying their retirement. Dr Edmonds has now moved to Norfolk where she is close to her daughter and Dr Rakkar occassionally pops in to the surgery on visits from India. Dr Campbell has since retired from practising in Sydenham
The practice was run as a three-doctor partnership with Dr Vella as senior partner from April 1990, until Dr Campbell left the practice in 1997.
At that time, recruitment of new GP principals was extremely difficult so Drs Vella and Tempest struggled on with the help of a part time assistant, Dr Natalie Vowles, until Dr Andrew Agun joined as a new third principal in 2000, having started as an assistant in the practice in 1999. Dr Agun left the practice in 2012.
Dr Clark joined the practice as a salaried partner in 2014, having replaced Dr Shri Kulkarni who had been with us for 2 years in the same role